Season’s Greetings! I’ve been waiting all year to say that!
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I love this time of year; filled with family, fun and food. I’ve had way too much of the latter, but I digress!
Another thing I love about this time of the year (and no I’m not talking about Little Debbie ChristmasTreeCakes) are Holiday parties! For us corporate folks, most of you have attended, or are planning to attend your Office Holiday party. For the past couple of weeks you’ve been asking yourself, “what do I wear?”; “how do I conduct myself?”; “Well, it is a party, right?”; “Wait, do I participate in open bar?”‘; “Is this a setup? No? Well, then how many drinks can I have?” Well, I’m here to give you a few Office Holiday Party-Goin’ tips that will ensure you are super fab, professional, well-behaved AND chic! After all, it IS a party, but you do want to have a job to return to on Monday morning, don’t you?!
1) Dress Appropriately – Just because it’s a party, and it’s outside of a professional-setting, does not mean that you can dress like you’re going to the club; that’s a total no-go! People will remember how you dressed and behaved for the duration of your employment with the company! Here are a few tips:
- Don’t wear anything too form-fitting – This is a no-no. You don’t want to show everyone at the office your goodies! Opt for something slightly looser. Maintain class and elegance at all times.
- Don’t show too much cleavage – Don’t wear tube-top or sleeveless dresses; don’t show too much skin. Keep everything covered while maintaining your fabulousity! This takes skill, but you can do it!
- Don’t wear anything too short – I know you’re dying to wear that super mini skirt or cocktail dress, but don’t do it! Opt for something longer, preferably just above or at the knee, or longer.
- Do wear neutral make-up – When it comes to these events, it’s best to keep everything simple. A nice, clean and elegant look is the best way to go!
- Do be decorative – Keep it simple, but with a little spice! Sequins are always a fun way to go, and are typically a big hit for Office Holiday Parties. Feel free to accessorize, but don’t over do it. Simple is best!
- Do be fab – Put your styling abilities to the test! Don’t show up looking like you’re going to work; select your most flattering classic look. Remember, not too sexy, but yet trendy and chic.
The moral of the story is: Keep it Simple, Classy and Chic!
2) A Drunk Man’s Words Are A Sober Man’s Thoughts – In other words, watch what you say! Don’t let the open bar set you up to lose your job. “But, they are offering me drinks on drinks on drinks. What do I do?!” One thing you should never do is get too wasted! It’s okay to drink socially, but do not be THAT person. Be mindful of what you are saying, and do not engage in gossip about the company or employees. Even though you may not remember what you said, I can guarantee that someone most certainly will!
3) Be Social – Don’t be afraid to be social with your co-workers, colleagues and boss; however, the key is moderation. It won’t hurt to be friendly with those who work with you; just make sure to touch on safe topics (e.g., don’t tell racy jokes or talk about religion, etc.). Don’t be flirty; keep everything PG-13. You never know what impression you will have on a potential boss or position! Keep it Classy!
Those are my top 3 tips to survive your Office Holiday Party! Now check out some suggested looks below!